War of 1812 Bicentennial

Home > Historic Works > Newspapers > Plattsburgh Republican > Loss of the Corvette Adams

Loss of the Corvette Adams

Loss of the Corvette Adams.

We have conversed with one of the Adams' crew who yesterday arrived in town from Hamden, who gives the following account of her loss and the disgraceful conduct of the militia:

Hamden, Sept. 5. Saturday morning, 7 o'clock---the British, supposed to be 1000 strong, landed between Frankfort and Hamden, two miles below the latter, and marched up to attack the United States' ship Adams, with the co-operation of about 30 barges by water. Captian Morris having provided for her destruction, had his men stationed at the guns on the wharf to defend the ships against the barges, while lieut. Lewis and his men, about 50, who had arrived from Castine, were posted on the hill to an 18 pounder, supported by the militia, said to be 1300 under the command of General Blake---the British opened their fire at about three fourths of a mile distance---the American artillery opened, and cut them down in lanes, and gave considerable momentary confusion---but the militia at this time, instead of a charge immediately fled in every direction---the light infantry companies present supported lt. Lewis as long as it was prudent to stand by their guns, which were several times discharged, but being deserted by the others, and powerfully opposed, they retreated and left the ground to the enemy. Capt. Morris and his men beat off the barges in the mean time, but finding the British possessed themselves of the hill, gave orders for his men to make good their retreat. Our informant adds, that he saw lieutenant Wadsworth half an hour after the action, but the last he saw of the capt. he was on the wharf, but thinks he is safe. About half an hour after they left the ship he heard the explosion.

Lieutenant Lewis is said to have conducted bravely in this affair.

The above is from the Portland Argus of Thursday last. Gentlemen who arrived in town in the eastern mail-stage on Thursday evening (as far down as Bath) bring the pleasing information that captain Morris was safe and at Portland on Thursday morning last, well. The militia were flocking to Camden, where 1000, it was said, had collected. Major General King was at Camden. The whole of the division was ordered out. The expedition from Halifax for Penobscot consisted of the Spencer, Bulwark, and Dragon 74s; Bacchante and Penedos frigates; Sylph and Peruvian sloops of war; and Picton schooner, with 10 transports, having on board 3 or 4000 troops. The Bacchante was direct from the Mediterranean. Bost. Pal.

[Public Domain mark] Copyright/Licence: This work was published in 1922 or earlier. It has therefore entered the public domain in the United States.